Certified SC Recipe of the Week – Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Collards and Sausage
December 29, 2016
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- *1 (14 oz) package of Carolina Pride® smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- *6 cups of Certified SC collard greens, tightly packed and chopped
- *1 (15.5 oz) can of Margaret Holmes® Black-Eyed Peas
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes with juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chopped collards and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until collard greens are tender. Stir in rinsed black-eyed peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Ag Fact: Black-eyed peas and collard greens are traditional foods to eat on New Year’s Day for luck and money, and both are found in this hearty soup.
*is a Certified SC ingredient