CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Cowboy Caviar
June 5, 2017
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup sugar (see notes)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper*
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper*
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (from 1 bunch)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, white wine vinegar, chili powder, and salt.
- Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
- Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors. Serve chilled or at room temperature
Ag Fact: In the U.S we characterize corn as a vegetable, however in many parts of the world corn is considered a grain.
*is a Certified SC ingredient