CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Southern Okra
June 5, 2017
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra*
- Boiling water
- 1 medium onion, chopped*
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped*
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped*
- Cooked rice, optional*
- In a small shallow bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper; set aside. In a small saucepan, cover and cook okra in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes and reserved sugar; cook for 5 minutes. Add okra. Heat through, stirring as little as possible. Serve with rice if desired.
Ag Fact: Okra has been used throughout history for medicinal purposes, treating sore throats and other pains.
*is a Certified SC ingredient