CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Muscadine Pie
September 26, 2017
- 6 cups of Certified SC Grown muscadines
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- A teaspoon or two of flour
- pie crust
- strips or whole crust for top
- splash of milk
- a little sugar
- 6 cups of muscadines – separate the skins from the seeds by just squeeze them so the seed locule and interior pop out. Put the hulls in one bowl or pan and the insides in another.
- Cover the hulls with water, as little as possible, and cook low heat until tender. With old varieties, this could be up to 30 minutes.
- Add / dissolve 1.5 cups of sugar to the hulls. With a colander strain the interior of the berries into the hull mixture to remove the seeds. You want everything but the seeds.
- Simmer to thicken. A teaspoon or two of flour can be added to / during thickening to thicken.
- Place mixture in the pie crust. Add cover of strips or whole crust over the top; cut vent slits, brush with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar on the crust.
Ag Fact: Muscadine grapes have an extra set of chromosomes containing genes that allow them to produce a unique balance of phytonutrients that are virtually absent in other grapes.