CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Pumpkin Cornbread
September 26, 2017
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups Adluh® flour
- 2 cups Adlul® cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- heaping 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cast iron pan in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 7 tablespoons butter. Stir in cream cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Stir in milk and pumpkin until just combined.
- Remove pan from oven and add remaining tablespoon of butter. Tilt pan so that melted butter covers bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into heated pan and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Ag Fact: Pumpkins are a member of the Cucurbita family which includes squash and cucumbers