CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Beet Bruschetta with Goat Cheese and Basil
December 29, 2017
- 3 medium Certified SC Grown beets, halved
- 1 baguette, sliced at a diagonal into ½ inch thick slices
- Olive oil for brushing bruschetta
- 1½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic
- 10 basil leaves – cut into ribbons
- ⅛ C finely diced red onion or shallot
- 4 oz local goat cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a medium pot, cover halved beets with water and boil until just tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice baguette into ½ inch slices at a diagonal. Brush both sides with olive oil and place on a sheet pan in a 400° oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese and goat cheese in a bowl and mix with a fork until smooth.
- When beets are fork tender, drain pot, refill with cold water and slip skins off the cooked beets under running cold water using your hands. Dice into small ⅓ inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and balsamic -stir to combine.
- Assemble: Spread a little goat cheese mixture on each bruschetta creating a “trough” (to hold beet mixture in place) and top with a Tablespoon of beet mixture. Garnish with a few basil ribbons.
Ag Fact: When harvested, the entirety of the plant is edible, from the tips of its leaves, down to its long pointed root. Sautéed beet greens anyone?