CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
December 29, 2017
- 3 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 medium Certified SC Grown leeks, washed well and sliced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- crumbled bacon optional (for garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley optional (for garnish)
- Add the potatoes, leeks, bacon, onion, sea salt, thyme, parsley, pepper and chicken stock to your slow cooker.
- Stir well to combine, add the lid and turn the slow cooker to the ‘high’ setting.
- Cook on high for about 6 hours.
- After 6 hours have passed, whisk together the milk and flour until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Turn the slow cooker to ‘low’ and add the milk and flour mixture to the slow cooker, stirring well to combine.
- Replace the lid and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and crumbled bacon, if desired, and serve!
Ag Fact: Leeks contain many unique flavonoid antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that have proven health benefits.