CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Pesto Pasta with Asparagus
March 20, 2018
- 8 ounces medium shell pasta
- 1 pound Certified SC Grown asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- 1/3 cup diced mozzarella cubes
- Fried egg, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Place asparagus in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste; gently toss to combine. Place into oven and roast for 8-12 minutes, or until tender but crisp. Let cool before cutting into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, asparagus, pesto, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Serve immediately with a fried egg, if desired.
Ag Fact: Asparagus takes three years from seed to harvest, but once mature, the plant can produce for up to 15 years.