CERTIFIED SOUTH CAROLINA RECIPE OF THE WEEK – FRIED CORN CAKES
July 27, 2018
- 6 large ears of Certified SC corn, kernels removed from cob
- 4-5 green onions finely sliced
- 2 Certified SC eggs divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Process half of the corn kernels in a a food processor or blender so that they’re finely chopped, but not pureed.
- Add the processed corn, the other half of the corn kernels, green onions, 2 egg yolks, oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Be sure to save your egg whites!
- Next add your flour and corn meal and gently stir, just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat your egg whites until soft peaks form. Then gently fold into the corn cake mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the butter.
- When skillet is hot and butter is melted, you can add your corn cake batter. I add about 1/4 cup of batter and only cook 2 corn cakes at a time so that I still have room to flip.
- Cook each corn fritter for about 2-3 minutes on one side, or until lightly browned.
- Flip the fritter over and continue cooking on the other side for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.