CERTIFIED SOUTH CAROLINA RECIPE OF THE WEEK: STUFFED COLLARDS
September 25, 2018
- 16 Certified SC collard leaves or halves, a little bigger than hand size
- 1 ½ cups cooked white rice
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite creole seasoning
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Blanch the collard leaves in boiling water for about one minute.
- Rinse, cool and pat dry.
- Brown the ground pork in a saute pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go until it loses its pink color.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and creole seasoning to the pork and continue to saute until the vegetables soften a bit. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the cooked rice and beaten egg.
- Place about 2 (coffee) teaspoons of the mixture just above the base of the collard leaf.
- Roll up the bottom, tuck in the sides and roll the rest of the way. Repeat for the remaining leaves and place in a shallow baking dish. If you have extra filling, just sprinkle it over the top of the rolls.
- Pour the quarter cup of broth over the casserole, cover tightly and bake at 350F for about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or at room temperature