CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: TOMATO TART
October 30, 2018
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 oz./390 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 20 Tbs. (2 1/2 sticks) (10 oz./315 g) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) ice water, plus more as needed
For the filling:
- 2 cups (16 oz./500 g) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbs. chopped Certified fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lb. Certified SC heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Maldon sea salt for finishing
- Small Certified SC basil leaves for finishing
- To make the tart dough, in the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse 2 or 3 times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the 1/4 cup ice water and pulse 3 or 4 times. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If it is crumbly, add more water, 1 tsp. at a time, pulsing twice after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and shape into a 5-inchn disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 400°F (200°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick to fit a 10 1/4-inch round tart pan. Press the dough into the pan and trim, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang around the rim.
- Fold in the excess dough and press it into the sides so they are thicker than the bottom.
- Refrigerate at least 10 minutes.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. Place a sheet of parchment on top of the dough and fill the pan with pie weights.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then remove the parchment and weights and continue baking until the crust is baked through and light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in the tart pan.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a small offset spatula, spread the mixture into the cooled tart shell.
- Top with the tomato slices and sprinkle with Maldon salt and basil leaves. Serve immediately.