CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: BROWN SUGAR PECAN COOKIES
January 4, 2019
- 1 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large Certified SC egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Certified SC pecans
- 36 pecan halves or chopped Certified SC pecans toasted, optional
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Certified SC milk
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add in flour, baking soda, and salt beat until combined. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes (or more).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Shape into 1″ balls and place a couple inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets or parchment paper.
- Bake 10 minutes or until set (not glossy at all in the middle) and lightly browned at the edges. Cool before frosting.
- Combine brown sugar and milk in a small pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Stir in 1½ cups powdered sugar and whisk or beat with a mixer until smooth. If frosting is too thin, add more sugar, but keep in mind it will firm up dramatically within a few minutes.
- Spread each cookie with about 1 tbsp frosting and top with a pecan or chopped pecans.
- Let frosting set before storing.