CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: HEARTBEET PANCAKES
February 4, 2019
- 1 cup mashed Certified SC beets
- 2 large roasted Certified SC beets
- 2 cups Certified SC milk
- 2 large Certified SC eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- butter for cooking
- To roast the beets, remove the stems and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Cook in 350 degree F oven for one hour or until very soft to the touch. Once cool enough to handle, remove skin.
- Process peeled and roasted beet with milk in a blender until smooth.
- Add in eggs, melted butter, and vanilla and process on low until well combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and salt.
- Pour in the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over stir and like with any pancakes, a few small lumps are fine.
- Heat griddle over low heat and grease with butter.
- Cook until pancake starts to set, 5-10 minutes, then flip and allow to finish cooking, another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a pad of butter and real maple syrup.