CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: LEMON PASTA WITH CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS
February 4, 2019
- 1 lb boneless skinless Certified SC chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 10 oz penne pasta
- 1 lb thin stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, remaining diced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 oz cream cheese, diced into eight pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Chopped fresh Certified SC parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. .
- Add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 minutes then rotate and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm, set aside
- Melt butter in now empty skillet, add garlic and saute 20 seconds then and broth and water, while stirring to loosen any browned bites from bottom of pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil, then add pasta.
- Cover and allow to boil until fairly tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 – 9 minutes.
- Sprinkle asparagus over top (don’t stir), cover and allow to boil 4 – 5 minutes longer until asparagus and pasta are tender
- Add in cream cheese, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir until melted. Stir in chicken.
- Remove from heat, cover and let rest a few minutes if desired to allow sauce to thicken slightly and soak into pasta.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired, serve warm.