CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: BLUEBERRY MOJITOS
April 8, 2019
- 1/2cup SC Certified fresh blueberries
- 2 1/2 ounces of lavender simple syrup, recipe below
- A handful of fresh Certified SC mint leaves
- 1 1/2 ounce of white rum
- 1 1/2 ounces of club soda
- Juice of one lime
- Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
- 2 sprigs fresh lavender
- Place the blueberries in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Heat over medium-low heat until the berries burst and become liquid.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until pureed and smooth. You can strain this mixture through a fine mesh sieve if desired, but I don’t mind any little flecks of blueberry.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the blueberry puree in the bottom of the glass.
- Add the lavender syrup and stir.
- Add the fresh mint leaves and muddle them in the bottom of the glass.
- Add ice to the glass, and pour rum, soda and lime juice.
- Mix with a long spoon or knife and serve with an additional sprig of mint.
Lavender Simple Syrup
- Place the sugar, water and lavender in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk until the sugar dissolves, bringing the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set the saucepan aside. Let it cool completely.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lavender.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.