CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: TOMATO PIE
June 26, 2019
- 3 large Certified SC tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 5 pieces raw Certified SC bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 nine-inch pre-baked deep-dish pie shell
- 1 small onion, sliced very thin
- 15 fresh Certified SC basil leaves, chopped
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides of tomato slices with salt, arrange on cooling rack, and allow to drain for at least 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In nonstick pan, render fat from bacon over medium-high heat until bacon is very crispy. Remove to paper towel and allow to cool.
- Add mayonnaise, bacon, and cheddar to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Create a layer of tomato slices in the bottom of pie shell. Season with pepper to taste.
- Add a layer of onion, then a layer of basil, seasoning each with pepper.
- Repeat until pie filling is about 1/4 inch from the top of shell. Evenly spread mayonnaise mixture over the top.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes to two hours, giving pie time to firm up.