CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: SOUTHERN STYLE COLLARD GREENS
September 11, 2019
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 large bunches Certified SC collards, roughly chopped and stems discarded
- 3 slices hickory smoked Certified SC bacon
- 2-4 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- hot sauce to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until just done but not quite crispy yet. Add the onion and collards, and sauté in the hot grease until they wilt.
- Pour the water in the pot — it should just cover the collards. Add the brown sugar, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt and a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 ½ – 4 hours.
- Season with additional salt, hot sauce and pepper to taste.