CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: APPLE OATMEAL MUFFINS
November 25, 2019
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon Certified SC ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup Certified SC buttermilk with the juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted vegetable/canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small Certified SC apples, chopped into small pieces
- turbinado (raw) sugar and nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin wrappers or spray with nonstick cooking spray. My non-stick muffin tin works so well I didn’t need either.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in your applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist.
- Fold in the chopped apples. Fill muffin cups ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Sprinkle raw sugar and a light dusting of nutmeg on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Since these muffins contain fresh fruit, they will spoil more quickly than regular muffins. Try storing them in the refrigerator if you don’t intend to finish them within a day or two or store them in the freezer for longer-term storage.