CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: ROASTED BEETS
November 25, 2019
- 2 pounds Certified SC beets, medium sized, scrubbed clean, green tops removed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line pan with aluminum foil.
- Rub beets with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, place in pan, cover with foil: Place the beets in the pan. Rub olive oil over the beets, and sprinkle with salt. Cover the beets with another sheet of aluminum foil.
- Roast for 1 to 2 hours: Roast for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the beets and how old they are. After 1 hour, test every fifteen minutes by poking a beet with the tines of a fork.
- Once the fork tines go in easily, the beets are tender and cooked. Remove from the oven.
- Prepare balsamic glaze: While the beets are cooling, prepare the balsamic glaze. In a small, shallow sauté pan, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Heat on high until the vinegar has reduced to a syrup consistency. Remove from heat.
- Peel and cut cooked beets: After the beets have cooled for several minutes, but are still warm to the touch, peel off the outer skins and discard. Cut the beets into quarters or more, bite-sized pieces.
- Pour glaze over beets: Place beets in a serving bowl. Pour balsamic glaze over the beets. Stir in grated orange zest and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little orange zest to serve.