CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST CAKE
May 1, 2020
- 2 cups all-purpose flour approximately 9 ounces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large Certified SC egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Certified SC milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine softened (NOT melted)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups Certified SC blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
For the drizzle: (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk more or less to get to a drizzling consistency
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray or grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut butter into small pieces. Add egg, milk, butter and lemon peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. You may need to finish mixing with your hands to get all the flour incorporated. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the blueberries. Because the batter is so thick, this may take a few minutes.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For topping, combine sugar, flour, walnuts and cinnamon in a mini food processor or bowl. Add butter and process, or cut in if doing by hand, until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- For drizzle, combine the powdered sugar and milk. If too thick, add a few drops of additional milk at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency.
- Drizzles over the top of the cake and allow to sit until sugar solidifies.