CERTIFIED SC RECIPE OF THE WEEK: PEACH PIE
June 2, 2020
For the Peach Filling:
- 3 1/2 lbs Certified SC peaches pitted, peeled and sliced 1/4″ thick (~6 1/2 to 7 cups sliced)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour or 3 Tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
1 Pie Crust
For the Egg Wash & Topping:
- 1 Certified SC egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
Preheat the Oven to 425˚F.
Peach Pie Filling:
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl: 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Blanch peaches by putting them in boiling hot water for 1 min. Pit peaches and slice into 1/4″ thick slices.
- Transfer peaches to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp vanilla and gently stir.
- Sprinkle with the dry ingredients and gently stir to combine. Make a topping for the pie and cut slits in the top for the steam to escape. Once the top is on, trim off any excess dough, leaving a small amount hanging over the edge, then crimp the edges all around with your fingers.
- In a small ramekin, use a fork to beat together the egg and 1 Tbsp water to make your egg wash. Brush the top of your pie generously with egg wash.
- Place pie on the center rack and bake at 425 ˚F for 20 minutes. Place cookie sheet lined with foil under the pie to catch an drips.
- Reduce oven to 375˚F and bake an additional 30-40 min or until the filling is bubbling. Loosely cover the pie with foil if it is starting to brown too quickly.
- Let the pie cool down for at least 2 hours so the filling thickens.